SDHB restricts information access

Kathy Grant
Kathy Grant.
The Southern District Health Board is clamping down on information it has previously released without objection.

Last week,  the SDHB said it could no longer release commissioner Kathy Grant’s official correspondence unless the Otago Daily Times stated "specifically" which letters it is after.

Previously, the board agreed to a general release of top-level inward and outward correspondence, subject to  redactions to protect individual privacy.

The ODT has made similar requests for several years. The DHB’s response last week, prompted by a fresh request for the correspondence, was the same day the newspaper reported on two letters received by Mrs Grant that highlight concerns about specific services.  One of the stories revealed  the board was formally notified of midwives’ safety concerns about maternity transfers from Queenstown and Central Otago. The broader release last month included:

● A letter from an orthopaedic surgeon raising concern about lack of capacity in emergency surgery at Dunedin Hospital on weekends.

● A letter from 15 clinical leaders complaining about lack of engagement over the Dunedin Hospital rebuild.

● A letter proposing a joint venture for a public-private hospital development in Queenstown.

In its formal response on Friday,  the board said it could no longer furnish all such correspondence. The ODT has told the board it is willing in this instance to limit the request to inward correspondence. The ODT has also complained to the Office of the Ombudsman about the board’s response.

eileen.goodwin@odt.co.nz

Comments

Oh goody, even less transparency at our DHB. But, of course, they know what they're doing and it's all for our own good--no self interest of hidden agendas here. Ha ha ha ha

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter