You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
After a decade and multiple appeals and changes to the original proposal, the Dunedin City Council has approved a district plan change that will allow the development of a small section of Dunedin's harbourside.
The harbourside zone will permit cafes, bars, apartments and public open spaces on the south side of the Steamer Basin, in a much-reduced zone compared with the 2005 plan which resulted from discussions started in 2001.
Agreement with appellants to the Environment Court was reached last year allowing for the change, approved in 2009, and rezoning of the area from port and industrial to harbourside.
In April last year, the council agreed to drop much of stage 2 from the two-stage plan, and businesses agreed to accept stage 1, subject to negotiation.
Councillors approved the final plan change yesterday.
On behalf of Cr Colin Weatherall, who was involved with the mediation, Cr Kate Wilson said he was happy the project was concluded and matters resolved.
Cr Lee Vandervis, the only councillor to vote against the change, said it was a shadow of the original plan and it would be better to develop areas like Princes St.
The change takes effect from May 29. All new structures in the harbourside zone must comply with a harbourside design code.