Awards dinner attendees close contacts after positive case

Hilary Barry has hit back at sexist comments on social media. Photo: HilaryBarryNZ - Facebook
Hilary Barry. Photo: HilaryBarryNZ - Facebook
Almost a thousand people at a corporate awards dinner have been told they're close contacts after a bar worker tested positive for Covid-19.

The event was hosted by Seven Sharp presenter Hilary Barry, who was off air tonight.

The Mitre 10 2021 Awards ceremony at Spark Arena in downtown Auckland on Thursday last week was attended by people from across New Zealand.

Mitre 10 says they understand that people who attended will be concerned.

"We have notified attendees that they have been at a location of interest and advised them of the actions they and their households need to take regarding self-isolation and testing. The country was at Level 1 at the time of the event and appropriate protocols were in place, including QR codes and contract tracing capability."

"Every single person at that event is considered a close contact," Barry said.

Seven Sharp host Jeremy Wells crossed to Barry on air tonight and she like about 1000 others at the event she was now required to get tested and go into self-isolation.

She said she felt "fine . . . a box of birds".

She needs to record several negative tests from 14 days from her time of exposure before she is allowed back to work.

Prior to Barry's brief appearance on Seven Sharp - speaking from her house - Wells had told viewers that he was flying solo as Barry had "to leave in a hurry".

A screenshot of a message sent to award attendees has been given to the NZ Herald.

"Dear awards dinner attendee", the message begins.

"We have been informed by Uno Loco, organisers of the Mitre 10 awards dinner, that one of the bar staff working at the event last Thursday, August 12, has tested positive for Covid-19.

"As an attendee at the event, you are deemed a close contact", the message says, before explaining the Ministry of Health guidelines for what to do next, including self-isolating at home for 14 days from the date of exposure.

The awards took place from 6pm till midnight and the Herald understands a crowd of almost 1000 people attended.

The Ministry of Health is being contacted.

The latest potential mass exposure site hasn't yet been announced by the ministry.

Locations of interest for the outbreak have now reached at least 174 visits to 138 distinct locations identified in the Auckland and Coromandel regions, as of 5pm.

More are expected, including those relating to three Wellington community cases announced today.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter