Garage, house bus destroyed by fire

A garage of about 30sq m and a house bus parked in it were destroyed by fire at the rear of a plumbing firm's premises in Rogers St, Cromwell, last night.

Cromwell Volunteer Fire Brigade Station Officer Steve Coup said a second, similar garage at the rear of AAA Tough Plumbing & Drainage Ltd was damaged by smoke but was saved by firefighters using two Cromwell fire appliances, supported by a command unit from Alexandra and a Clyde fire appliance.

Flames were several metres above the roof of the first garage, which was ‘‘well involved'' when firefighters arrived after being alerted about 7pm.

The plumbing premises were undamaged by the fire, and about 15 firefighters with breathing apparatus, working in rotation, brought the fire under control within about half an hour.

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter