Prison may double up

Double-bunking may be introduced in some cells at the Otago Corrections Facility as prison managers look at ways to combat the swelling national inmate population.

The Department of Corrections is negotiating with unions about the prospects of housing two prisoners to each cell in certain wings of the facility.

While the department is remaining tight-lipped on the chances of introducing double-bunking, sources have told the Otago Daily Times plans for the practice at OCF are well advanced and management has confirmed it is negotiating to raise the number of double-bunking cells there.

OCF has a current capacity of 335 plus a 20% contingency, meaning a maximum of 402 prisoners.

Manager Jack Harrison said in a statement last week the country's four newest prisons, including OCF, had been identified as the best equipped for introducing double-bunking quickly should it be needed.

Talks with unions were continuing, he said.

The department's resource consent application, issued to build the prison, contained a clause allowing capacity to be lifted to a maximum of 600 (including the 20% contingency) from July 1 this year.

Last week, the number of prisoners at OCF was 328.

Add a Comment