Woman charged with murder over Timaru deaths

Police have arrested and charged a 40-year-old woman with murder, in relation to the death of three children in Timaru on Thursday night.

The woman is due to appear in the Timaru District Court this morning.

A scene examination will continue at the Queen St address today.

‘‘As this matter is now before the courts, police will not be making any further comment,’’ police said in a statement.

A woman has been charged after 2-year-old twins Karla and Maya Dickason and their 6-year-old...
A woman has been charged after 2-year-old twins Karla and Maya Dickason and their 6-year-old sister Liane (centre) were found dead in Timaru. PHOTO: FACEBOOK
The children have been identified as South African-born 6-year-old Liane Dickason and twin 2-year-old girls Karla and Maya.

The children and their parents had only recently arrived in Timaru from their native South Africa, having relocated to start a new life here.

On arrival in New Zealand they completed the mandatory MIQ period.

Days later, the tragedy unfolded.

About 10pm on Thursday emergency services were called to the house in Queen St.

There they found the three girls dead and a woman, believed to be their mother, with critical injuries.

The woman was rushed to Timaru hospital and remains there in a stable condition.

The house was cordoned off and put under guard, the girls’ bodies still inside, until detectives and crime scene specialists arrived yesterday morning.

Detective Inspector Scott Anderson later confirmed the ages of the dead children, and that they were siblings.

‘‘Those involved arrived in Timaru from South Africa in the last week,’’ he said.

‘‘The investigation into this tragedy is still in its very early stages, but we can confirm that nobody else is being sought in relation to the deaths of the three children.

‘‘Police are still working to notify to all next of kin, and for that reason — and to protect the privacy of those impacted by this tragedy — at this stage we will not be releasing further details regarding the victims.’’

The children’s bodies were removed from the scene yesterday afternoon.

  •  The New Zealand Herald

 

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter