Pupil in filmed attack excluded from Southland school

The clip of the attack was posted on social media today by a group called Anonymous Team. Photo: Supplied
The clip of the attack was posted on social media today by a group called Anonymous Team. Photo: Supplied
A video clip of alleged bullying at Invercargill's Aurora College has come to light.

The clip was posted on social media today by a group called Anonymous Team, and appears to show a male pupil adopting a boxing pose, and challenging another young male of similar size to fight in an outdoor porch believed to be at the school.

The victim of the subsequent attack can be heard refusing to fight, and attempts to shelter himself from kicks and blows, while several other pupils look on.

A second pupil can also be seen filming during the course of the attack.

It is the second such incident recently. A 14-year-old boy appeared in the Invercargill Youth Court on Monday in relation to an alleged assault at an Invercargill secondary school last week, after a video was uploaded online.

When contacted by the Otago Daily Times this afternoon, chairwoman of Aurora College board of trustees Sandie Lilley said today's video was "historic'', and had already been addressed by the school.

"This shows an incident that occurred at the end of last term of which we were already aware. We were not aware it had been filmed, however, and will now take steps to identify other pupils who were present, and address the situation according to our clearly laid out policies regarding bullying.''

She said the offending male pupil had been permanently excluded on Monday this week.

"We have a very strong anti-bullying policy, and this exclusion reflects that policy,'' she said.

Mrs Lilley denied the emergence of the video meant Aurora had a bullying problem.

"We promote an atmosphere of whanau here at Aurora, and work with a wide range of students - some from difficult backgrounds - and our teachers achieve amazing things under those circumstances.''

Invercargill Police said they were not yet aware of today's video.

"Police have not received a complaint regarding a second video of an assault at a Southern District school. However, police will investigate should a complaint or information be received, and we encourage the victim to come forward and speak with police, and anyone who has information should come forward.''

richard.davison@odt.co.nz

 

drivesouth1.png

drivesouth2.png