You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Yesterday, Treble Cone general manager Toby Arnott announced Treble Cone would not be opening as scheduled this Thursday due to a lack of natural snow on the mountains.
He said snowmaking had been able to cover the main groomed trails to the base area, but coverage of the remainder of the mountain remained insufficient to operate.
"We'd love to be open for guests to ski and ride, but right now we're simply not able to offer the exceptional experience we know they're looking for.''
"That's why we've made the difficult decision to delay our opening until conditions improve,'' Mr Arnott said.
With the Meteorological Bureau forecasting settled weather at least until the weekend and possibly through to Monday, it is unlikely the ski field will open before then.
Mr Arnott said the snowmaking team would continue to make snow as conditions allowed but "to open the field we do need Mother Nature to play her part and deliver some natural snow.''
It is the second upset for the South Island's biggest ski area in as many weeks.
Just last week Cardrona Alpine Resort revealed it had made a conditional offer to purchase and manage the struggling ski field, subject to due diligence being carried out over the next three months.
Mr Arnott said in the meantime they would be doing "everything we can to support our staff through the period between now and opening.''
"We have a great team of new and returning staff on board and we're ready to go, we just need a little extra help from mother nature at this point,'' he said.