You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Makes 16 slices
Base and topping
2½ cups plain flour, sifted
2½ cups rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda sifted
¾ cup soft brown sugar
¾ cup white sugar
340g melted butter
2 395g cans of condensed milk
¾ cup lemon juice
3 Tbsp lemon zest, finely chopped
5 egg yolks
1. Heat oven to 170degC fan bake and line a 20cm x 30cm tin with baking paper. (If you have cooking spray, spray a little in the tin before putting your baking paper in as this helps the paper sit in the tin nicely and it will not pop out of place.)
2. In a large bowl or cake mixer bowl, add all base ingredients in order and stir well or mix on low for a couple of minutes until combined.
3. Place about two-thirds of the mixture in prepared tin and press in well. (Set the remaining aside for crumbling on top later.)
4. Bake for 15 minutes until a light golden colour.
Lemon filling and topping
1. While base is cooking, combine condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and egg yolks in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Mix with a whisk or hand mixer until well combined and the juice and condensed milk are no longer sitting separately.
3. Carefully pour lemon mixture on to the warm baked base and spread evenly.
4. Sprinkle remaining base evenly over the top of the lemon mixture.
5. Return to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is light golden. Leave to cool.
For best results, refrigerate for a few hours before slicing to ensure lemon mixture has set.
Store in the fridge.
• Recipe requested by Rachael Broomhall. Recipe provided by Alexandra Sidewalk Cafe owner Jo Tweedie.
If you have enjoyed a dish in an Otago cafe or restaurant and would like the recipe, write to Ask a Chef, Features, Otago Daily Times, PO Box 517, Dunedin, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, including your name, address and a daytime telephone number, and we will request it.