Second member of trio missing in Outback found alive

A second person has been found alive after being lost for two weeks in the Northern Territory Outback and police are hopeful of finding a third person who remains missing.

Claire Hockridge, 46, is the only person still missing after a pastoralist found Phu Tran, 40, in the Palmer Valley area south of Alice Springs on Tuesday morning.

He managed to survive in searing temperatures after finding water and has been taken to hospital in Alice Springs to be treated for exposure.

Tamra McBeath-Riley, 52, was rescued on Sunday afternoon after drinking from a cattle watering hole.

Police Superintendent Pauline Vicary told reporters in Alice Springs on Tuesday the search would now target Ms Hockridge's last-known location.

"The helicopters are up again, we are honing on the area and will hopefully locate her today," Ms Vicary said.

Mr Tran told the pastoralist he had left Ms Hockridge behind two days ago to look for help until he found the station property or water and had walked along the fence line for that time, she said.

He was found about 12 kilometres from where their ute was bogged.

"He is in a good condition, slightly disorientated, the pastoralist said," Ms Vicary said.

"The pastoralist has taken him back to the homestead and given him a feed.

"She (Ms Hockridge) was still fine when he left, but we are obviously now focusing the search to identify her where she is, hopefully she's still in that condition.

It is a fortnight since the group told family and friends they were going for a drive out of Alice Springs.

Their car ended up bogged in sand in the bed of the Finke River on November 19. The trio stayed together for a number of days but finally decided to split up in a bid to get help.

They left a note inside their car to indicate the direction they were heading.

Ms McBeath-Riley was released from hospital on Monday after being treated for dehydration, exposure to poor quality water and being exposed to temperatures that nudged 40C in recent days.

"We tried many times to try and get out, but just couldn't get out, so ventured forth to try and find some shelter and some water," she said.

"During the day it's just really hot so we dug ourselves under the car during the day into the sand."

For one desperate week the trio stayed together, gathering the dirty water, boiling it when they could and using a shirt to strain out the sediment.

After leaving their car where it became bogged , the three drank from a cattle watering hole and ate biscuits and beef noodles before splitting up.

Add a Comment





Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter