'Bloody disappointing' to lose Rod Stewart show

Sir Rod Stewart
Sir Rod Stewart
The cancellation of Sir Rod Stewart’s Dunedin concert in April is "bloody disappointing", Forysth Barr Stadium’s boss says.

Dunedin Venues Management Ltd chief executive Terry Davies said he was gutted by the news, but it was probably not a surprise to most people.

"Bloody disappointing to say the least, but it’s totally out of our hands."

Concert promoter Live Nation announced the concert’s demise yesterday, citing ongoing travel restrictions and international border closures as the reason for the cancellation.

Stewart had been scheduled to play in Dunedin on April 6, followed by concerts at Mission Estate Winery in Hawke’s Bay on April 9 and 10.

All three concerts, part of the "Rod Stewart — The Hits" world tour, were cancelled.

In a statement, Stewart said: "We’ve all been cheated by this evil disease".

He was cancelling the shows with great regret, he said.

"I’m absolutely gutted with disappointment and when I do eventually get there we’ll have the party to end all parties. Guaranteed!"

He looked forward to returning to New Zealand when the health situation permitted.

Mr Davis said the present circumstances made it difficult to book international acts.

Travel restrictions and quarantine requirements continued to complicate international travel.

"You can imagine promoters will be watching the horizon, the uncertainty, and of course these guys have to make huge commitments to book tours."

The stadium’s domestic programme was continuing as planned, including the upcoming craft beer and food festival and Highlanders home games.

"We have just got to cross fingers on international content.

"Let’s hope we can get some international rugby later in the year, and let’s hope we can get some concerts announced and on sale for next summer."

Ticket holders for the cancelled shows should contact their ticket outlet to arrange a refund.

The concert was the latest in a series of high-profile event cancellations at the stadium due to Covid-19 complications.

The concert by American rockers Guns N’ Roses was cancelled, as was a rugby test between the All Blacks and South Africa.

andrew.marshall@odt.co.nz

 

 

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter