Rugby player avoids conviction for assault

A man was admitted to hospital after an assault at the Green Island Rugby Football Club but was...
A man was admitted to hospital after an assault at the Green Island Rugby Football Club but was not seriously injured. PHOTO: ODT FILES
A rugby player who punched someone at a post-match function will walk away from the incident without conviction.

Kyle James Martin (24) was charged with injuring by unlawful act following the June 16 incident at the Green Island Rugby Football clubrooms.

However, the charge was effectively withdrawn by police last month after Martin completed the terms of diversion.

Club president Craig Anderson said Martin was suspended while the case progressed through the court but confirmed he would be free to play next year.

The assault came at some cost though.

"He's been doing a bit of community work for the club - doing the toilets up and stuff like that,'' Mr Anderson said.

The Otago Daily Times was told at the time that the victim - who was not connected to the rugby club - was left lying on the floor as a result of the assault, as an event wound down.

Police and paramedics were called shortly after midnight to the Neill St clubrooms.

The victim was initially assessed as being in a critical condition, though that was quickly downgraded and he was later discharged from hospital.

The police diversion scheme allows mostly first offenders to avoid conviction for relatively minor offences by admitting the offence and completing a series of tasks, which may include a restorative-justice conference, making a payment to a victim, community service or undertaking treatment.

"The benefit of this scheme is that it provides an incentive for non-recidivist offenders involved with low-level offending to be punished and to take responsibility for their actions without receiving a conviction,'' police said.

Martin refused to discuss the case or the details of his diversion and deferred to his mother.

She, too, declined to comment.

Finally, Martin's father called the ODT and made an expletive-laden demand to not publish a story.

rob.kidd@odt.co.nz


 

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter