Electric bike battery catches fire

A firefighter wearing breathing apparatus uses a high pressure hose reel to extinguish an electric bike fire in Evans St yesterday.

A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman said it was called to reports of a garage fire about 9am.

PHOTO: PETER MCINTOSH
PHOTO: PETER MCINTOSH

When crews from Willowbank and Roslyn stations arrived, they cut a hole in the garage door and discovered a battery for an electric bike had caught fire.

The fire was probably due to a fault in the product, the spokesman said. 

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter