Freak fire takes driver by surprise

Photo by Linda Robertson
Photo by Linda Robertson
Dunedin firefighters put out a car fire in Wolseley St, near the intersection with Cumberland St, at 12.20pm yesterday.

The parked Toyota Caldina station wagon was extensively damaged in the fire, which was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

The owner, who did not wish to be identified, said he was sitting in the uninsured vehicle when it began to fill with smoke.
''I got straight out and called the fire brigade on my cellphone,'' he said.

A Fire Service spokesman described the fire as ''one of those freak electrical things''.

 

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter