You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The temporary liquor ban planned for around Forsyth Barr Stadium and the University Oval will be split in two, after a councillor raised concerns about its legality.
The ban was to run from February 17 to February 28, covering a combination of the Cricket World Cup, Orientation Week and Super 15 rugby events at the two Dunedin venues.
However, the timing had since been split in two, with the ban now planned to run from February 17-22, and then February 26-27.
Cr Hilary Calvert said the change came after she questioned whether the council's existing bylaws allowed a blanket temporary liquor ban.
The temporary ban aimed to control alcohol in areas for specific activities or events, but there were none scheduled for the period from February 23-25, she said.
That made the temporary liquor ban as originally proposed ''ultra vires'', or beyond the council's powers, she said.
''There's gaps in the middle when none of them were happening.''
Cr Calvert said she first raised the issue with council staff last week, following which a revised timeline for the temporary ban was tabled at Monday's full council meeting.