A Nelson man allegedly found with a cache of semi-automatic, military-style weapons has made a brief court appearance in Dunedin.
Michael Leslie Burnard appeared before the Dunedin District Court by audio-visual link this morning facing four charges of possessing a weapon and four of receiving.
A new charge was added by police today alleging that he was also found with 2400 rounds of ammunition.
The 56-year-old from the Nelson suburb of Marybank was due to apply for bail today, but said he was unwell because he had not had his ADHD medication.
He instructed his lawyer, Noel Rayner, not to argue for his release.
A 57-year-old man has been jointly charged and the pair will be back in court on Friday.
Police said the arrests were made after searches of a vehicle and property on the outskirts of Dunedin on Wednesday night and Thursday morning last week.
They were conducted in relation to the burglary of a Dunedin address on October 25, where a large number of firearms and ammunition were stolen.
Five rifles and 23 handguns, including several military-style semi-automatic firearms, along with ammunition, were taken from a flat in Maitland St, police said.
Police have declined to release details on the make of guns and ammunition.
But according to court documents, the weapons allegedly taken by Burnard involved a Smith and Wesson revolver and three military-style, semi-automatic rifles, one of which had a scope.
Police have confirmed that the owner of the weapons held a firearms licence.










