Motorists continue bad driving

Southern district police are disappointed to see some motorists continuing to drive like "ticking time bombs", despite the horrific holiday road toll.

The holiday period proved to be very busy for police in the South.

Otago Lakes Central road policing manager Senior Sergeant Sarah Thorn said it was disappointing to see some motorists continuing to put other road-users at risk through unsafe driving.

On January 8, a motorist was clocked at a speed "well in excess of the maximum speed limit", near Cromwell.

The driver tested positive for excess alcohol in an evidential breath test, recording more than double the legal limit, and was also unlicensed.

They are due to appear in the Alexandra District Court today.

Fortunately the driver was pulled over before further risk to the driver and other road-users could be caused, she said.

"Having a motorist travelling at that speed, while twice over the legal limit, is tantamount to a ticking time-bomb to a catastrophic tragedy on our roads.

"I’m just glad that our increased presence and visibility on the roads meant this driver was removed from the roads swiftly.

"I’m hopeful our continued vigilance and proactive approach to safer roads will act as a deterrent and reduce these kinds of risks throughout the course of summer."

Last week, Senior Sergeant Anthony Bond, of Dunedin, hit out at the many "poor excuses" from speeding drivers, which included sneezing and running late for a belly-button piercing appointment.

Snr Sgt Thorn said police officers would continue to target times and locations known to be high risk, and continue to undertake prevention and enforcement activities accordingly.

"These include speed enforcement, breath alcohol testing, and operations around people using cellphones while driving, as well as checking that everyone is wearing a seatbelt.

john.lewis@odt.co.nz

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter