Museum seeks project funding

Dr Ian Griffin Photo: Craig Baxter
Dr Ian Griffin. Photo: ODT files
The Otago Museum has applied for nearly $25 million under the Government’s "shovel-ready" projects scheme, to tackle a backlog of maintenance, safety and other construction work.

In response to the effect of the Covid-19 lockdown on the country's construction sector, the Government has been seeking proposals for construction-ready projects of more than $10 million which it might consider funding.

In a report considered at the Otago Museum Trust Board meeting last week, museum director Ian Griffin said a museum team had submitted to the Crown on April 14 an application asking for $24,841,096.

The bid sought to replace the roof of the Tropical Forest and Hocken wing, to install sprinklers in parts of the complex not already covered, and to reinstate the Ross building, the original museum building on the current site, to its original form.

The funding would also help with the planned redevelopment of the Tangata Whenua Gallery and rejuvenate the museum's education suite.

The board also heard that the museum had successfully applied for the Government wage subsidy scheme and received $736,027.20, which would secure the employment of museum staff until June, despite the recent loss of 40% of the museum's usual income as a result of the lockdown.


 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter