
Some motorists have been left seething after being told to cover the cost of repairs caused by loose metal on the Southern Motorway with their own insurance.
The New Zealand Transport Agency has so far received 72 calls about vehicles damaged by loose metal resulting from roadworks on the Southern Motorway on March 18.
● Was your windscreen affected by loose metal on the Southern Motorway last week? Email reporters@odt.co.nz
An NZTA spokeswoman said those who had contacted the agency about tar or tyre damage would have it repaired, but windscreens would not be covered.
When asked if that meant people would have to cover the costs themselves, she said: "I'm afraid so because it can happen anytime on the highway''.
The company contracted to carry out the roadworks, Downer, would cover the cost of the other damage.
"All names and contact details of people claiming damage to their vehicles from a highway road work operation get passed on to the contractor to manage,'' the spokeswoman said.
It was not possible to put a figure on those repairs but the contractor was insured, she said.
Of the 72 calls to the agency, 45 were for tar damage such as stones, chips or tar stuck to vehicles, eight were for tyre damage and 34 were for windscreens.
However, that approach raised the hackles of Mosgiel resident Mike Dalton, whose wife's car's windscreen was chipped by loose metal at the roadworks site.
For them to say they were not going to cover it was ridiculous, he said.
"It's a cop-out for them because they can say that could happen anywhere on the motorway, and they are dead right, but ... where'd that stone come from? They know damn well where that stone came from.''
The stance was "totally disgusting'' and he planned to fight them for cover, he said.
"That's their call, but I totally disagree with them,'' he said.
"If that's the track they are going to go down I will give them a call and give them a rark up.''
He had windscreen insurance, but felt it was "irrelevant'' and the agency or contractor should pay for the chip's repair.
Last week, NZTA coastal Otago maintenance contract manager Nick Rogers conceded the repair work was substandard and the agency would "make good'' on the damage.
"The contracting job was not done very well,'' he said at the time.
"There were technical issues with the resurfacing. The loose chip was carried past the end of the work, so what they've got to do is clean up where that chip has gone beyond the work site.''
The NZTA spokeswoman said anyone who was affected by the roadworks and had not contacted the agency should call it on 0800 444-449.