Talks continue in defamation case

Dave Cull.
Dave Cull.
Talks aimed at reaching a settlement are continuing over defamation allegations levelled against Dunedin Mayor Dave Cull by former Otago Rugby Football Union board members Wayne Graham and Laurie Mains.

Lawyers for the parties appeared briefly before Associate Judge John Matthews in the High Court at Dunedin yesterday.

The matter was quickly adjourned to the next list day, September 10.

That followed a request from lawyer Alastair Logan, acting for Messrs Graham and Mains, who told the court settlement discussions were proceeding.

Mr Cull's legal representative also supported the move.

The Otago Daily Times in April reported Mr Cull faced legal action after questioning the now-former ORFU board's performance in a strongly-worded Radio NewZealand interview.

Mr Cull's comments came the day after the council agreed to wipe $480,000 owed to it and Dunedin Venues Management Ltd by the union.

Court documents later confirmed former ORFU chairman Mr Graham and former deputy chairman Mr Mains were together seeking more than $1 million in damages over allegations of defamation.

Yesterday's brief appearance followed an earlier teleconference between the parties' lawyers last month.

chris.morris@odt.co.nz

 

 

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter