You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Two women escaped from a burning Andersons Bay home as smoke billowed from its doors and windows this afternoon.
Firefighters quickly contained the blaze at a house on Puketai St, which is off Highcliff Rd, after arriving about 2.50pm but not before it caused significant damage to one side of the house.
The fire started after a compost pile next to the house caught alight and spread to the house.
An occupant told the Otago Daily Times ash had been disposed of in the compost pile some days ago.
Another occupant was seen in tears outside the house.
A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman said two appliances were called to the blaze.
The blaze was small, he said.