Tears after fire in Andersons Bay

Two women escaped from a burning Andersons Bay home as smoke billowed from its doors and windows this afternoon.

Firefighters quickly contained the blaze at a house on Puketai St, which is off Highcliff Rd, after arriving about 2.50pm but not before it caused significant damage to one side of the house.

The fire started after a compost pile next to the house caught alight and spread to the house.

Dunedin firefighters battle a blaze on Puketai St. Photo: Gregor Richardson
Dunedin firefighters battle a blaze on Puketai St. Photo: Gregor Richardson

An occupant told the Otago Daily Times ash had been disposed of in the compost pile some days ago.

Another occupant was seen in tears outside the house.

A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman said two appliances were called to the blaze.

The blaze was small, he said.

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter