Three inhale gas after leak at freezing works

Fire crews at the scene of the gas leak at the Duncan South facility this morning. Photo: Gregor Richardson
Fire crews at the scene of the gas leak at the Duncan South facility this morning. Photo: Gregor Richardson
Three people required medical attention after breathing in gas following a chemical spill at a freezing works in Mosgiel this morning.

A Fire and Emergency New Zealand (Fenz) spokeswoman said they were called to the spill at the Duncan South facility, in Puddle Alley, about 10.25am.

Two fire appliances responded, one from Lookout Point and one from Mosgiel.

Two people had inhaled gas during the incident, she said. 

St John later confirmed that three people were taken to hospital. 

Some of the firefighters at the scene were wearing breathing apparatus. 

The facility was about 100m from the road and close to AgResearch's Invermay campus. 

 

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter