Ruby Princess passengers deemed 'low risk'

The Ruby Princess. Photo: Getty Images
The Ruby Princess. Photo: Getty Images
NSW state's health department allowed passengers off the coronavirus-stricken Ruby Princess cruise ship, which visited Dunedin recently, as they determined it to be "low risk", a top Australian Border Force official says.  

ABF Commissioner Michael Outram was speaking in Canberra, days after 2700 passengers disembarked from the Ruby Princess in Sydney harbour last week, with 48 on board subsequently testing positive.

The Carnival Corp's vessel has proven to be the biggest single source of infections in Australia.

Fifty-six Kiwis were reportedly on board the ship, which arrived in Sydney on Wednesday, March 18, after a New Zealand trip that included stops in Dunedin, Akaroa and Wellington.

It arrived in Dunedin on the morning of March 12 and departed the same day, at 6pm.

Outram said on Wednesday health departments of respective states and territories were responsible for human biosecurity-related matters.

Australia's national cabinet, dubbed the 'war cabinet', will meet again on Wednesday to consider responses to the pandemic in its third meeting this week.

 

 


 

Add a Comment

Local journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Otago Daily Times reporters and photographers continue to bring you the stories that matter - yours. For more than 150 years our journalists have provided readers with local news you can trust. This is now more important than ever.

As advertising drops off during the pandemic, support from our readers is crucial. You can help us continue to bring you news you can trust by subscribing to our print or digital editions, or by making a donation.

Become a Supporter