UK radio station mistakenly announces death of King Charles

King Charles was visiting Northern Ireland with Queen Camilla when Radio Caroline falsely...
King Charles was visiting Northern Ireland with Queen Camilla when Radio Caroline falsely announced his death. Photo: Reuters
By Niva Chittock of RNZ 

A British radio station has issued an apology after wrongly broadcasting that King Charles had died.

In a statement on social media, the Essex-based Radio Caroline said a computer error in its main studio triggered the "Death of a Monarch" procedure.

It says it was accidentally activated on Tuesday afternoon (local time) and mistakenly announced that the King had died before the station went silent.

“This is Radio Caroline,” the broadcast began. “We have suspended our normal programmes until further notice as a mark of formal respect following the passing of his Majesty King Charles III.

“This is Radio Caroline. His Majesty King Charles III has passed away. As a mark of respect we will now be playing suitable continuous music until further notice.

“The news media has confirmed that his Majesty King Charles III has passed away. Consequently as a mark of respect, Radio Caroline is suspending its normal programmes.”

King Charles was currently visiting Northern Ireland with Queen Camilla, and had been seen out and about in the town of Newcastle, County Down, when the announcement was made.

The station said all UK stations had the procedure in readiness, but hoped not to require it.

"We apologise to King Charles and our listeners for any distress caused," Radio Caroline said.

"Caroline has been pleased to broadcast Her Majesty the Queen's and now the King's Christmas Message and we hope to do so for many years to come."

Listeners who commented on the social media post said the news came as a shock, but soon turned to amusement when they realised the station had made an error.