Inquiry into Alexandra blaze

Photo by Lynda Van Kempen.
Photo by Lynda Van Kempen.

A fire investigator will inspect the scene of the Central Otago WasteBusters blaze in Alexandra this afternoon.

The fire gutted the recycling operation's 20m by 28m shed, which housed the operation's sorting base and re-use shop last night. Its cause has not yet been determined.

Flames reached up to 25m high as fire crews from the Alexandra, Clyde and Omakau volunteer brigades fought the blaze.

Station Officer Mark Donald, of Alexandra, said recycling materials inside the Boundary Rd building included cardboard and plastics, and it was too dangerous for firefighters to tackle the blaze from inside.

Firefighters were expected to be on site until early this morning. Emergency services were called to the fire about 8pm. Senior Sergeant Ian Kerrisk, of Alexandra, said there was nothing to suggest it was suspicious.

Victim Support staff were comforting WasteBusters staff and volunteers at the fire last night.

WasteBusters was on the brink of insolvency last year and was bailed out by the Central Otago District Council.

On July 1 this year, Wanaka Wastebusters took over the Central Otago operation. Seven people are employed at the Alexandra base in Boundary Rd.

 

 

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter