No plea over Tindall footage

Security camera shows England Rugby player Mike Tindall getting close to an unknown blonde while...
Security camera shows England Rugby player Mike Tindall getting close to an unknown blonde while on a team night out to the Altittude Bar in Queenstown, New Zealand.
"Tindallgate" will continue next month after the man at the centre of the CCTV footage scandal surrounding England rugby captain Mike Tindall was yesterday remanded without plea by Judge Kevin Phillips in the Queenstown District Court.

Jonathan Dixon (40), of Fernhill, became infamous after last week uploading on to YouTube, security camera footage of Tindall, who married the Queen's granddaughter, Zara Phillips, less than two months ago in Edinburgh. It shows Tindall allegedly cavorting with a "mystery blonde" at Altitude Bar in Queenstown on September 11.

The footage made international headlines.

Dixon is charged with accessing the computer system, and dishonestly obtaining video surveillance footage.

A media scrum awaited Dixon outside court yesterday morning.

Jonathan Dixon leaves court yesterday.
Jonathan Dixon leaves court yesterday.
Duty solicitor Steve Turner said Dixon opposed media applications to photograph and record the court appearance.

Mr Turner sought a two-week remand so Dixon could seek legal advice and asked for media applications to be adjourned so he could "advance matters".

"There is no indication from police bail would be opposed ... he doesn't have a passport, so there is no flight risk.

"As I understand things, he's quite well known - he's known to me through Dunedin; he's from the area, so to speak." Judge Phillips granted the remand and said he had "no option" but to follow Ministry of Justice media guidelines.

Media applications were adjourned along with the matter, both of which would be dealt with on October 3.

The only condition of Dixon's bail was not to go within 100m of Altitude.

After leaving the court yesterday, the former security guard declined to read his prepared statement due to apparent friction with a reporter.

About a dozen Wakatipu, national and English reporters, photographers and cameramen were left slightly bemused when Dixon, wearing a black suit, walked past the glass doors of the courthouse and acknowledged the media's presence with a single raised index finger, as if needing a moment before meeting his public.

The automatic doors parted and Dixon eventually walked out, brandishing a camera of his own which he pointed at the media as it trained its cameras and recorders on him.

Questions were asked. Did he feel guilty? Was there more footage?

Instead, Dixon raised his hands as if appealing for calm.

Ears strained to hear what he said. He mumbled something about having a statement prepared but a Radio New Zealand reporter appeared to have rubbed him the wrong way with his questions.

Dixon clearly took exception to the probing and exchanged words with the reporter.

"Go Tindall" was the only other comment he made before speaking with someone in a parked car and wandering off.

The Otago Daily Times yesterday approached Dixon at his home but he declined to be interviewed, saying he was tired.


Add a Comment