Lake Hayes blaze started by fireworks

The fire did not threaten any houses. Photo David Williams
The fire did not threaten any houses. Photo David Williams
About 20 firefighters battled a grass fire which sent large plumes of smoke into the air near Lake Hayes today.

Deputy Principal Rural Fire Officer Jamie Cowan, of the Otago Rural Fire Authority, said the fire burnt an area about 200m x 200m in an undeveloped section.

Fire crews spent almost two hours there.

Mr Cowan said the fire was reasonably contained by driveways and did not threaten any houses.

"We were lucky the breeze was from the south."

The blaze was started by fireworks, he said, and the authority would be seeking costs from those responsible.

Add a Comment