Protest at Kingston over subdivision access

Kent St, Kingston.
Kent St, Kingston.
Opponents of access to a major subdivision at Kingston will protest this weekend.

The Kingston Subdivision Action Group was formed after Kingston Community Association members learnt Kingston Village Ltd, which is planning a subdivision of 900-plus homes, intends to access it off Kent and Oxford Sts.

Late last year, a petition against that plan raised about 385 signatures - almost the town’s entire population – in just 10 days or so.

Residents, as well as Queenstown councillor Penny Clark, who looks after the township, understood the developer instead planned an access road off State Highway 6.

The subdivision is one of three in the Wakatipu earmarked for $76 million of central government loan funding. Queenstown’s council can borrow the money from the Housing Infrastructure Fund (HIF).

Community association chairman Athol Elliott said they were not against the subdivision itself, but they were against disruption to the community. 

The protest will take place in Kingston on State Highway 6 at noon on Saturday.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter