An early cross-section of submissions to a new beach access bylaw in Clutha shows most in favour of greater regulation for vehicles.
The Clutha District Council released a first tranche of submissions to its proposed vehicles on beaches bylaw consultation yesterday, in preparation for an initial round of hearings in Balclutha tomorrow.
Last week, Clutha Mayor Bryan Cadogan said the council had been taken by surprise at the "huge" number of submissions for a single-issue consultation, which had reached 1080 at its conclusion on Monday.
Although initially 78 of those submitters had requested to speak to their submissions, that number now stood at about 40, a council spokeswoman said.
An examination of an initial cross-section of 16 submissions released yesterday showed 10 in favour of the proposals as they stand, two in partial favour and four against.
In an effort to protect wildlife such as sea lions and penguins, the draft proposal would ban vehicles altogether from eight Clutha beaches — mainly in the Catlins — with exemptions for emergency services, boat access and access to properties otherwise inaccessible by road.
Vehicles on other Clutha beaches would be limited to 30kmh and be expected to drive safely and away from wildlife.
The eight beaches subject to the proposed ban are Taieri Mouth, Kaka Point, Cannibal Bay, Surat Bay, Jacks Bay, Purakaunui Bay, Tahakopa and Tautuku.
The proposals are the result of a process begun in 2020, when Invercargill environmental advocate Sian Mair, of the Sea Society, and some residents brought the issue of vehicles disturbing wildlife on Catlins beaches to the attention of the council.
The resulting bylaw, including any changes made following the hearings, would come into force on January 1 next year.