Comfy win for Rosyln-Wakari

Green Island's Matt Brazier (right) heads the ball as Roslyn-Wakari's Josh Lucas competes and...
Green Island's Matt Brazier (right) heads the ball as Roslyn-Wakari's Josh Lucas competes and Genta Kojima watches on at Sunnyvale on Saturday. PHOTO: CHRISTINE O'CONNOR
Roslyn-Wakari has continued its goal-scoring ways with another convincing win.

It scored four in the second half as it beat Green Island 5-1 at Sunnyvale Park.

Both teams got off to attacking starts.

The home side was dangerous through Matt Brazier and Genta Kojima, while Roslyn's wide men Reid Hulleman and Nathan Wilkie caused havoc for Green Island's fullbacks.

Roslyn broke the deadlock on 43 minutes, when Curtis Day latched on to Ollie Colloty's pass on the edge of the box and precisely placed his shot over keeper James Whelan.

In first half injury time, Green Island equalised on a quick counterattack and despite Tom Stevens' initial save, Matt Brazier reacted the quickest.

The second half started in dramatic fashion when Brazier found space on the edge of Roslyn's box.

He ran on to a through ball, pushing the ball past the outcoming Stevens - who clattered into Brazier.

Referee Jack Cowie awarded a penalty. But Island's Tom Milton's shot was saved by Stevens.

Lucas gave Roslyn the lead with an hour played though, after finding space at the back post from a corner.

Reid Hulleman bagged two goals in quick succession and Oliver Colloty completed the scoring with some tight skill inside the box.

He fired home on 83 minutes to complete the final scoreline of
5-1 to Roslyn.

Queenstown has struggled to adapt to Invercargill's artificial turf in the past, and so it proved when Southland won 4-1.

Southland's Nobutiro Shimamura opened the scoring after only nine minutes.

In the second, half Kenta Shimamura on 62 minutes and Davi Stemler Veiga on 75 minutes made it 3-0 to Southland.

Queenstown slotted in a 90th-minute penalty through Jan Kumar but in the sixth minute of injury time, Southland's Miquel Ortiz likewise scored from the spot.

Wanaka was too strong for Northern at Forrester Park and emerged 4-1 victors.

Wanaka went ahead in the third minute through Levi Fletcher and then incredibly scored two goals in the 36th minute, first through Paul Hodgson and then Harry Grimsdale.

Grimsdale made it 4-0 on 58 minutes.

Northern rallied and pulled one back with 15 minutes left when Latham Greig beat Britton Dowling.

Next weekend, the South Island league opens. All three Dunedin teams play locally.

Otago University host the Mainland Premier league winners Cashmere Tech - with Southern United's Garbhan Coughlan as its key threat - at the Caledonian Ground, and Mosgiel entertain Caversham at Memorial Park.

Both games are on Sunday with 12.30pm kickoffs.

 - Neville Watson

Add a Comment