Wells to sit out NZ Winter Games

Wanaka freeskiier Jossi Wells will be one name missing from the New Zealand Winter Games.

The 28-year-old had been listed on the provisional start list for the big air world cup, set to start on September 5, but he said this week he would not be competing as he continues to recover from injury.

Wells has been out of action since tearing his patella tendon in June 2017.

He returned to snow last December in the lead-up to the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, but he soon realised he had not recovered enough for competition and withdrew from the Olympic team.

This week he was ``still on the rehab train''.

He said it was ``frustrating'' not to be able to compete at the NZ Winter Games, but believed taking more time to recover was best for increasing the longevity of his career.

He did not know when he would return to competition.

``I'm just playing it by ear. I've been doing some backcountry skiing to help strengthen my knee, and I'm only just getting back into jumps now.

``It's frustrating not to go to the Games but I've been working hard [to recover].

``It is what it is. I just do what I can when I can.''

He will be joined on the sidelines by his brother Byron, who has decided to take a sabbatical from skiing in order to fully recover from a series of injuries and prolong his career.

Although neither will be competing, both are likely to still be seen at the Games doing event commentary.

Only the youngest of the Wells clan, Jackson (20), will be taking part in the Games, as other brother Beau-James does not compete in big air events.

 

 

Add a Comment

News and reviews powered by drivesouth.co.nz