Dunstan digs deep to beat OBHS 2nds

Dunstan High School won a seesawing battle over Otago Boys High School second XV at Alexandra on Saturday and with it kept control of its destiny.

Dunstan won 25-19 against the Otago Boys’ side whichhad come off a good win over John McGlashan College last week.

The game was a dogged affair and there was not much between the side throughout the match.

Otago Boys’ led 11-10 at the break and still had its nose in front well into the second half.

But anice break from loose forward Beau Meeham was fin­ished off by his fellow loose forward Reuben Kerr, who scored under the posts. The conversion put the home side out to a six-point lead and it held off a fast-finishing Otago Boys’ side.

Dunstan held firm when under attack near the end in what was atough game. Dunstan had won a close one over St Kevin’s College last week so had bagged a couple of vital wins in its last two games.

There were only two other games played in the competition on Saturday and both resulted in good wins to the home teams.

In Dunedin, John McGlashan College got back on track with a comfortable 60-5 win over St Kevin’s College.

The College side played well and found some holes in the St Kevin’s defence.

Mount Aspiring College was the beneficiary of Otago Boys’ High School first XV heading to Australia to play Brisbane Boys’ College at Suncorp Stadium in the curtain-raiser to the match between the Highlanders and the Reds.

Mount Aspiring won by default. It will face Dunstan next Monday in Alexandra on the day of the Topp Cup.

The two King’s High School sides were due to face each other but the game was deferred, while the match between Taieri College and South Otago High School will be played this Wednesday as part of an interschool fixture.

Otago Boys’ High School first XV went close but came up just short in its match in Brisbane, losing 22-21 to Brisbane Boys’ College.

The home team led 22-0 at halftime, with the conditions tough after heavy rain before and at the start of the game. Otago Boys’ though got better organised in the second half and roared back into the match.

It got up to 22-21 and was pressing on the line at the end but a charge for the line was ruled out and the home side won the match.

Add a Comment