Tributes flow for woman shot in front of two girls

A shocked community has rallied around two girls after a woman was allegedly shot dead in front of them in her car by a neighbour.

Tributes have poured in for Natalie Frahm after the 34-year-old was killed in the driveway of her Mackay home in north Queensland on Wednesday afternoon.

Ms Frahm was in the car preparing to leave for a sporting activity when she was allegedly shot by Ryan Geoffrey Cole, with the two girls in the back seat.

Cole, 31, is also accused of shooting a good Samaritan after the girls - aged 11 and 12 - escaped the vehicle and raised the alarm.

James McGill, 66, was visiting his elderly mother who lived nearby when he came to Ms Frahm's aid after the girls asked for help.

He suffered hand and chest injuries after allegedly being shot by Cole but is in a stable condition in hospital following surgery.

Cole was a neighbour but did not know Ms Frahm, police said.

"The community is reeling. This is the sort of thing that just doesn't happen in Mackay," Mackay Mayor Greg Williamson told AAP.

"A random, outrageous act of violence is something that takes a lot of time to absorb - it's just such a tragic event."

Ms Frahm's parents have flown in from Mount Isa, with floral tributes starting to arrive outside her South Mackay home.

She was remembered as a kind person and keen athlete, with her local Thai boxing club among many paying tribute.

"Natalie always had the most infectious smile, always helping where ever she could, making close friends with many of the other members," the club's Facebook post said.

The club also set up a GoFundMe fundraiser for the girls, with more than $9000 already pledged on Friday.

Support has been provided to the two girls as the South Mackay community also tries to process the incident.

"The two young girls who were in the back of the car and ran off to get help are going to live with this for the rest of their lives," Mr Williamson said.

The mayor hailed the bravery of the girls as well as Mr McGill, who approached the alleged gunman after answering their calls for help.

"How good was that? It's a typical Australian reaction I think - you go in and help," he said.

Cole is accused of shooting Ms Frahm and Mr McGill before driving away, sparking an emergency lockdown and police man hunt.

He was later arrested at a nearby service station and was charged with murder and attempted murder on Thursday.

"The community was really on edge for the first few hours when they thought a gunman was on the loose," Mr Williamson said.

"They have settled down but now it's the grief that is associated with trying to acknowledge that this has happened."

The mayor said the South Mackay community would now start the healing process while rallying behind the girls.

"It is a very tight community around there," he said.

"It's going to be a grieving process which will take a fair while to work out ... but over the next few days the community will rally."

Police are investigating how Cole allegedly gained access to a firearm after having a weapons licence revoked three years ago.

Queensland Premier Steven Miles said he might consider a police request "down the track" to strengthen gun laws to avoid a similar incident.

Cole was remanded in custody after his matter appeared in Mackay Magistrates Court on Thursday.