You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Today's Jaffa race on Baldwin St has been postponed due to the weather.
Events manager for the Cadbury Carnival, Kylie Ruwhi-Karawana, said organisers were concerned about severe weather warnings that the worst weather was due to hit at midday.
"Which is exactly when the race was scheduled.
"We also wanted to make sure residents could gain access if they were coming home early because of the weather."
Mrs Ruwhi-Karawana said it could be four to six weeks before the race was able to be rescheduled.
"It is a complex process because we have to engage with all residents on the road, plus blocking off the road is a complex process, so it will take several weeks to regroup, but we will meet on Monday and hope to have more information then." she said.
James Kane, Country Head Mondelez New Zealand, said safety was paramount particularly given the location of the race in the world's steepest street.
"An extreme weather event poses a potential risk to spectators, the Cadbury team and our event volunteers.
“We will aim to run the Jaffa Race later in the year, and no matter what happens, we will ensure Parents Centre, Surf Life Saving and Make-a-Wish receive the important funds raised as part of the event.”
“It’s a shame that such a successful Cadbury Dunedin Chocolate Carnival will finish without the iconic race this year, but we know this is the right decision given the unique weather event and safety risks that come along with it.”
We will keep the community updated on our plans to reschedule for later in the year.”