'Makes me sick': Rapist took family to scene

Daniel Moore and Nicola Allen. Photos: ODT/supplied
Daniel Moore and Nicola Allen. Photos: ODT/supplied

The day after Daniel Moore raped a woman in a public toilet, he took his unwitting family to the scene of the crime.

The 34-year-old Milton man was jailed for six and a-half years in the Dunedin District Court on Monday, after subjecting a stranger to a half-hour sex attack at the Waihola Domain.

Moore claimed he had been sitting in the car park - 40km southwest of Dunedin - drinking and smoking because his marriage was in tatters, as he had been the victim of psychological abuse at home.

His wife Nicola Allen told the Otago Daily Times that explanation was a sham.

She described Moore as a ''very manipulative man'' who was in control of what happened at home.

''He did whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted,'' she said.

Moore returned home as usual on the evening of the April 20 rape; a Friday.

The family ate fish and chips and just hours after the violent offence, he had sex with his wife.

''To know he came home and had relations with me - it just makes me sick,'' Ms Allen said.

Daniel Moore made this final post on Facebook before being charged with rape. Photo: Supplied
Daniel Moore made this final post on Facebook before being charged with rape. Photo: Supplied
The next day, the family drove to Dunedin to attend an event for the children.

On the way home Moore pulled over in Waihola.

''He stopped in there and revisited the toilets with me and the kids in the car,'' Ms Allen said.

''Who does that?''

She said Moore was scrutinising news websites, checking for reports of the sexual assault.

On Monday he returned to work.

But during the weekend, police had scoured CCTV footage of traffic on State Highway 1, among which was the defendant's work van.

Moore called his wife from the police station, neglecting to tell her about his impending interview.

It was the last time Ms Allen spoke to him.

He then posted on Facebook: ''Love my wife and kids'' with a photo.

Ms Allen discovered he had been arrested only when police arrived at the family home to execute a search warrant.

''I knew he did it 100%,'' she said. ''I knew he was guilty.''

Moore initially told police the cubicle sex had been consensual but he eventually pleaded guilty to rape.

Court documents revealed the man overpowered his victim.

Moore told her his name was ''Dave'', he was 23 and it was the first time he had raped anyone.

The summary of facts stated the defendant removed his overalls and lay them on the floor before violating the woman.

Ms Allen later found out it was the same garment her husband had worn on their wedding day during a fire-spinning demonstration.

Ms Allen only discovered Moore had blamed his offending on the state of his marriage when she read about it yesterday.

She dismissed it as ''absolute bull...''.

After Moore was charged, she moved away with her two children and said her focus would be on protecting them when he was released from prison.

He will be eligible for parole in June 2020.



Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter