Govt gives $100k for Dunedin flood relief

Downer crew assist a motorist to recover a car from under the Burnside overbridge during the flood.
Downer crew assist a motorist to recover a car from under the Burnside overbridge during the flood.
The Government has delivered a $100,000 cash injection to the Dunedin Mayoral Relief Fund following flooding earlier this month.

Civil Defence Minister Nikki Kaye made the announcement this morning, saying the funding would be available to help residents affected by the flooding.

The fund aimed to help people cover the cost of essentials, including furniture and fittings, heating, temporary accommodation, one-off medical costs and establishment fees for phone connections.

"The focus of the Mayoral Relief Fund is supporting residents unable to get help from other avenues, such as insurance, to get back into clean, dry homes," she said.

The government funding was in addition to that of the council, which contributed $150,000 when setting up the fund after the June 3 flood, which delivered 175mm of rain to the city in 24 hours.

The flooding affected around 1250 properties across Dunedin, resulting in about about 45 applications for support, with more expected.

"There will be families who are feeling the financial impact on top of the emotional experience of dealing with the floods, and we want to help those families through this," Ms Kaye said.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter