King's staying silent on cap decision

The King's High School board of trustees has made a decision on whether it will agree to a Ministry of Education call for an enrolment scheme to cap its roll - but is not ready to make the decision public.

Board chairman David Booth yesterday said the decision was made at a board meeting on Monday night.

Mr Booth said he was writing to the Ministry of Education to formally communicate the response and, until the ministry had been told, he would not make the decision public.

The ministry recently instructed the school to institute an enrolment scheme.

The school has a roll of 1023, and its growth required the relocation of four prefabricated classrooms to King's from other schools this year.

Mr Booth said the board's decision was ''based on the feedback of our community, our teaching staff, our board and our students''.

King's said parents and community members opposed the plan. Mr Booth said discussion at the meeting included the pros and cons of an enrolment scheme, the Education Act and the potential of overcrowding.

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement