Pool group getting 'good steer' from 312 public submissions

More than 300 submissions have been received on plans for a new Mosgiel aquatic centre to replace the existing pool. Photo by Allied Press.
More than 300 submissions have been received on plans for a new Mosgiel aquatic centre to replace the existing pool. Photo by Allied Press.
A shortlist of four possible sites for a new Mosgiel aquatic centre has prompted a flood of submissions.

The Mosgiel Aquatic Facility Steering Group has received 312 submissions for and against four locations during a two-week consultation period, which closed on August 7.

Steering group chairwoman Cr Jinty MacTavish was pleased with the public feedback received, saying the submissions gave the group ''a really good steer'' on issues of importance.

The submissions were not available to view as members of the steering group continued to work through them and seek additional information, Cr MacTavish said.

But they raised ''a range of views'' about the merits of the various sites, including reiterating concerns about the potential impact on Mosgiel's Memorial Gardens, she said.

''There are a number of other points raised that require careful consideration.''

The feedback came after the group released a shortlist of four possible sites for the new pool complex on July 23.

The options were to redevelop the existing Mosgiel pool, or build a new facility on one of two locations inside the Memorial Gardens or on top of the existing Memorial Park car park.

The shortlist appeared to be a step back from the single preferred site - inside Memorial Gardens - promoted by the Taieri Community Facilities Trust with the earlier release of its feasibility study last year.

The release of the steering group's shortlist of sites also prompted opposition in the form of a new group, Hands Off Memorial Gardens, headed by former Mosgiel-Taieri Community Board member Brian Miller.

Outspoken city councillor Lee Vandervis has also criticised aspects of the project's handling, saying ''weasel words'' were being used to ram through the project - a claim Mayor Dave Cull and Cr MacTavish deny.

The steering group's recommendation would be included in a report to the council's community and environment committee meeting on October 12.

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter