You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The Dunedin City Council will soon tender about $1 million in outstanding roadworks, more than nine months after last June's torrential downpour.
Six of seven remaining slips in West Harbour and on Otago Peninsula would be repaired as part of the tender, council transport projects team leader Gareth Evans said.
The other slip, known as the "two cars slip'', near the intersection of Highcliff Rd and Seal Point Rd, would be fixed as a separate project.
The council is not commenting on this.
Four slips on Otago Peninsula would be tendered as a single project, while two slips on St Leonards Dr would be tendered as another, Mr Evans said.
The work would cost about $1 million. However, final figures would not be known until the tender process was complete.
Dozens of slips affected Dunedin roads following last year's deluge, when about 175mm of rain fell in 24 hours on June 3 and 4, cutting off residents from the peninsula.
Highcliff Rd from Camp Rd to Seal Point Rd has remained closed since the downpour.
NZ Transport Agency Southern media manager Frances Adank said the agency would pay for 58% of the work with a planning and investment subsidy.
The remainder would be paid by the council.
Mr Evans said the work would be paid for from existing budgets and other projects would be deferred to meet the cost.
One of the slips, about 300m south of the intersection of Sandymount Rd and Highcliff Rd, would require road closures.
Those closures could not occur while the road remained closed at "two cars slip'', Mr Evans said.
"[It] will be completed when safe access through ‘two cars slip' is available,'' he said.
A timeline of when the slips would be repaired was not available, but when asked if it could take another 12 months, Mr Evans said "my hope is it won't be anywhere near that long''.
More details on a permanent solution to "two cars slip'' were expected shortly, he said.
The final cost of road repairs following the deluge was estimated at $1.5 million last year and the council believed that figure was still applicable.
The June downpour flooded low-lying suburbs of Dunedin, cut off some residents and caused more than $30million in damage throughout the city.