Still no word on Winz building

The Ministry of Social Development is remaining silent on the future of the South Dunedin Work and Income building.

The facility has been closed since it sustained extensive flood damage on June 3 and the ministry has given no indication on when, or if, it will reopen.

The ministry this week declined to provide information requested under the Official Information Act five weeks ago on internal correspondence relating to the building's future.

''The ministry is currently considering options for what services will be offered to beneficiaries out of the South Dunedin Work and Income site,'' deputy chief executive, service delivery Carl Crafar said.

''The release of this information is likely to prejudice the ability of Government to consider advice and the wider public interest of effective government would not be served.''

The ministry has declined to respond to questions about what has happened to its South Dunedin staff or what alternatives had been given to regular users of the facility.

Flooring, walls and kitchen joinery were damaged by the flooding, Mr Crafar said. Repairs were completed by July 10.

damian.george@odt.co.nz

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter