Wait for council action over flooded road frustrates resident

Tom Grant stands by a flooded section of Old Brighton Rd. PHOTO: PETER MCINTOSH
Tom Grant stands by a flooded section of Old Brighton Rd. PHOTO: PETER MCINTOSH
At 96, Tom Grant should have his feet up and enjoying life. But a flooded road, caused by a blocked culvert and a lack of council action, has him cheesed off.

A couple of weeks ago, Mr Grant was stuck in his house, unable to drive out either end of Old Brighton Rd.

At the Waldronville end, work was being carried out to improve the road, and it was blocked temporarily, while on the Fairfield end the road was flooded.

He said the road repairs were fair enough, but he took issue with the flooding on the road about 100m from his property.

‘‘I’ve lost count of the number of times it has been flooded.

‘Every time we get heavy rain, the road is flooded,’’ he said.

‘‘One time I drove through and it came up over my bonnet. I shouldn’t have driven through it really.’’

Mr Grant said up to the last two years the section of road was fine and the culvert which runs underneath it was working well.

But then a water pipe was installed, the joint broke and the culvert became blocked, he said.

‘‘The water used to drain off all the time, no problem. Now it floods every time. There are potholes which have become craters.

‘‘The road is being permanently damaged.’’

Correspondence seen by the Otago Daily Times showed Mr Grant had first written to the Dunedin City Council in mid-July last year.

It was originally seen by the council as a Three Waters issue but was transferred to the transportation department and it said it was working on the issue in August.

The council said the blocked section of the creek, which the culverts drains into, was on private property and consents were needed.

This was stalling the cleaning of the creek and culvert.

Mr Grant contacted the Otago Regional Council, but it said it was working with the city council, which was working with the landowner to progress a consent.

In October, the city council said a consent had been lodged with the regional council and physical works could start in mid November.

Mr Grant received a message from the city council on Wednesday which said the resource consent was still being worked through.

The city council did not reply to questions from the Otago Daily Times.

 

Advertisement