Public Anzac Day services cancelled

Dawn breaks over the cenotaph at Queens Gardens as thousands of people marked Anzac Day in...
Dawn breaks over the cenotaph at Queens Gardens as thousands of people marked Anzac Day in Dunedin last year. PHOTO: PETER MCINTOSH
The Returned and Services Association (RSA) has made the decision to cancel any public Anzac Day events this year and is postponing its national Poppy Day appeal.

The decision means it will be the first time Anzac Day services have been cancelled since they were started in 1915.

It is the first time Poppy Day has been postponed since 1922.

Gatherings of 500 or more people held both out and indoors were advised to be cancelled by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Monday.

Following that announcement national RSA president BJ Clark said: "We need to consider the demographic we have in our RSA and that would be attending Anzac Day parades"

"It's our responsibility to remember and acknowledge those that have served but also to ensure our members and the public are kept safe."

There are now 20 confirmed cases of coronavirus in New Zealand.

Following the events of March 15 last year, the number of Anzac Day services were reduced due to safety concerns.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter