Air France flight escorted after threat

An Air France flight has been escorted by two United States F-15 fighter jets to New York after an anonymous threat was made against the flight,  military officials say.

Air France flight 22, traveling from Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris,  landed safely at John F. Kennedy International Airport earlier today.

The anonymous threat came in a telephone call to a Maryland State Police barracks in the morning, and the caller made a bomb threat involving commercial aviation, Maryland State Police said.

Two US Air Force F-15 jets were launched as a precaution to monitor the flight as it approached New York, said Navy Lieutenant Commander Richlyn Ivey, a spokeswoman for US North American Aerospace Defense Command and US Northern Command.

The plane was cleared in New York with no incidents or hazards reported by passengers or crew, FBI spokesman J. Peter Donald said.

The New York Post reported 165 passengers and 11 crew members on board the Air France Airbus A-330, though those figures could not be confirmed.

Air France could not be reached for comment.

Separately, New York's WNBC television reported that a threat had been made against a separate American Airlines flight headed to JFK, but it was deemed not credible and the flight was cleared.

That report also said an Saudi Arabian Airlines flight was being checked out due to an unspecified threat, and that threats had been made against three other flights at Newark Liberty International Airport.

The FBI was not immediately available to comment on the WNBC report.

The US military spokeswoman said the command had not received information about additional threats against commercial airliners.

It was the first time US military aircraft had escorted a private airplane or commercial aircraft since February 13, when two F-15s followed a general aviation aircraft that was out of contact while flying in a restricted area near San Francisco.

The aircraft eventually re-established communications and was followed by the jets until it landed at Half Moon Bay.

Add a Comment

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter