Findings of inquest into teen equestrian deaths due

Just weeks after 17-year-old Olivia Inglis was fatally crushed by her horse when they tumbled over a jump, 19-year-old Caitlyn Fischer instantly died when her horse fell on her at another equestrian event.

With an inquest into the deaths having wrapped up in May, deputy state coroner Derek Lee is to deliver his findings at Lidcombe Coroners Court on Friday.

The 13-day inquiry looked at the circumstances leading up to and surrounding the accidents as well as examining whether safety procedures at NSW equestrian events were adequate.

The inquest heard that when Olivia and her horse Coriolanus fell in March 2016, Scone Horse Trials officials didn't know there was a doctor nearby.

Olivia was alive in the minutes after but the doctor didn't arrive until 20 minutes later. Word she was there didn't filter through and she had to make herself known to authorities after hearing of the accident.

Olivia's mother Charlotte Inglis also told the inquest she had not been aware licensed paramedics were no longer present at the equestrian events where her daughter was competing.

The paramedic on hand who tried to save her was hired only to provide general first aid and was without essential equipment.

Olivia died at the scene.

The inquest also heard from Caitlyn's mother, Ailsa Carr. She was first on scene after her daughter fell from Ralphie and died at the Sydney International Horse Trials in April 2016.

She knew instantly her daughter was dead but Ms Carr says even though nothing could have saved Caitlyn, the response to the accident showed what could have been done to save others.

It took at least six minutes for an ambulance to arrive and the closest jump judge on the course had no first aid training.

Equestrian Australia has since changed its rules to require a paramedic with the capacity to provide advanced life support to be present at events.

The inquest also heard that while the jump Olivia attempted was deemed technically safe by course design experts, it was not so in the eyes of elite Australian equestrian Paul Tapner.

Safety investigator Samantha Farrar also testified that she was left frustrated after her efforts to examine the circumstances around Olivia's death were shut down and her final report altered.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter