Alexandra Couple 'extremely upset' after losing dog in fire

An Alexandra couple are distraught after losing their dog in a house fire yesterday evening.

The couple were out when fire took hold in their Lanes Rd house and it went unnoticed until neighbours saw flames coming out of the roof.

Alexandra Chief Fire Officer Russell Anderson said a kitchen utility roller door had been pulled down on to a toaster switch, causing the toaster to turn on.

The fire was confined to the kitchen area but because the house was open-plan, the rest had been smoke-damaged, making the home uninhabitable in the meantime.

Central Otago police sub area commander Senior Sergeant Ian Kerrisk said the couple were "extremely upset" and victim support was with them while police arranged alternative accommodation and "secured" the house.

"The quick action of the brigade lessened what is unfortunately a bad situation," he said.

The Alexandra Volunteer Fire Brigade was called to the address at 6.30pm and was in attendance for about an hour and a-half.

It is understood the couple have insurance.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter