Alleged stabbing case postponed

A case involving a man accused of stabbing two people in Queenstown in August has been pushed back to give his defence lawyer time to access evidence.

Jack James Harrington (20), labourer, appeared in the Queenstown District Court before Judge John Brandts-Giesen yesterday morning.

He faces two charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after allegedly stabbing two men during an incident about 2.20am on August 18.

The charge carries a maximum penalty of 14 years' imprisonment.

His lawyer, Bill Dawkins, sought for the matter to be adjourned largely on grounds of disclosure.

Mr Dawkins said police had a lot of CCTV footage, but he was having trouble viewing it and had been unable to show it to the defendant.

Judge Brandts-Giesen granted the adjournment, to November 11, and agreed to a bail variation for Harrington, who would be curfewed nightly between 10pm and 5am.

Police said at the time of the incident they believed up to 15 people were involved in a confrontation between two groups in Camp St. One victim was found at the scene with life-threatening injuries, while the other was found at a Queenstown Hill address about an hour later with serious injuries.

Local journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Otago Daily Times reporters and photographers continue to bring you the stories that matter. For more than 158 years our journalists have provided readers with local news you can trust. This is more important now than ever.

As advertising drops off during the pandemic, support from our readers is crucial. You can help us continue to bring you news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter