Case against stabbing accused pushed back

A case involving a man accused of stabbing two people in Queenstown in August has been pushed back to give his defence lawyer time to access evidence.

Jack James Harrington (20), labourer, appeared in the Queenstown District Court before Judge John Brandts-Giesen this morning.

He faces two charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after allegedly stabbing two men during an incident in the resort, about 2.20am on August 18.

The charge carries a maximum penalty of 14 years' imprisonment.

His lawyer Bill Dawkins sought for the matter to be adjourned largely on grounds of disclosure.

Mr Dawkins said there was a lot of CCTV footage police had, however, he was having trouble viewing it and had been unable to show it to the defendant.

Judge Brandts-Giesen granted the adjournment, to November 11 and agreed to a bail variation for Harrington, who would be curfewed nightly between 10pm and 5am.

Police said at the time of the incident they believed up to 15 people were involved in a confrontation between two groups in Camp St - one of the victims was found at the scene with life-threatening injuries, the other was found at a Queenstown Hill address about an hour later with serious injuries.

Both were flown separately to Dunedin Hospital for surgery.

Harrington was detained by Australian Federal Police in Sydney, about 7pm on August 19 and returned to New Zealand.
 

Add a Comment

 

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg