Damaged and dangerous oak tree removed

Photo: Sean Nugent
Photo: Sean Nugent
Mount Aspiring Rd was closed on Monday night after a large roadside oak tree was deemed dangerous by the Queenstown Lakes District Council.

The tree was removed yesterday,

causing a stir on social media, as many were concerned the tree being cut down was a large decades-old redwood on the lakefront.

However, council spokesman Campbell Weal confirmed it was an oak tree, not a redwood.

He said the tree had a large crack in it and it had been assessed that if it was to fall, it would do so across both lanes of Mount Aspiring Rd and therefore, immediate removal was required.

It was unknown whether the crack was caused by last week's storm that downed several trees around the district, he said. 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter