Health New Zealand’s partially reversed its controversial policy in which Queenstown birthing mums needing emergency transfers could only go to Dunedin rather than much-closer Invercargill.
It introduced the trial on December 19, citing Dunedin Hospital’s better staffing, bed availability and specialist care.
Former mayor Jim Boult last month said the move was "stupid".
Two hours’ travel to Invercargill "was doable, but three and a-half hours to Dunedin is not acceptable".
Making matters worse, during urgent transfers in labour, only the birthing mum could travel by ambulance or chopper, meaning long drives for partners and support people.
Now, however, Health NZ’s chief midwife southern, Karen Ferraccioli, says "following feedback and careful consideration", if a helicopter isn’t available to fly the mum-to-be to Dunedin, for example due to bad weather, "the patient will be transferred by ambulance from [Queenstown’s] Lakes District Hospital to Southland Maternity Unit".
The amended policy took effect April 23.
Ferraccioli says "patient safety remains the top priority underpinning this change".
She adds: "Southland Hospital will be given advance notice to expect a patient transfer.
"Patients transferred to Southland Hospital by road will be prioritised, assessed and managed in line with normal clinical practice."
However, in time the number of maternity transfers is likely to decline as an improvement in local maternity services forms part of the government’s $180 million commitment, made last week, to improving healthcare in Queenstown Lakes and Central Otago.











