Car linked to missing boy recovered

The police dive boat earlier this morning. Photo by Craig Baxter
The police dive boat earlier this morning. Photo by Craig Baxter
The police dive boat this morning. Photo by Stephen Jaquiery
The police dive boat this morning. Photo by Stephen Jaquiery
Police divers in the water. Photo by Stephen Jaquiery
Police divers in the water. Photo by Stephen Jaquiery
Police divers in the water. Photo by Stephen Jaquiery
Police divers in the water. Photo by Stephen Jaquiery
The car is dragged closer to the rocks. Photo by Craig Baxter
The car is dragged closer to the rocks. Photo by Craig Baxter

Police say it is too early to tell what the car linked to missing Invercargill boy Mike Zhao-Beckenridge can tell them.

Scientists from ESR are examining the wreckage of the car, extracted from the sea near Curio Bay this afternoon, as they travel on the boat Awesome back to Bluff.

Detective Senior Sergeant Mike Bowman, of Invercargill, said he could not confirm if there were any bodies in the car, or if anyone was in the car when it went in the water.

He said the scientists would be looking for anything that could give them any clues about Mike and his stepfather John Beckenridge, who have been missing since March 13.

Mr Beckenridge's car was discovered in the water on March 26.

Det Snr Sgt Bowman said he had been speaking with Mike's family and it had been a "hard, hard" day for them.

Police used a helicopter to drag the vehicle on to rocks of the Southland bay, before divers attached floats to it and the helicopter dragged it to the waiting boat.

The operation took about five hours, after the police national dive team this morning abandoned an initial plan to float the car to the surface using airbags.

Divers entered the water of a bay about 9am this morning to start the recovery.

Det Snr Sgt Bowman said police were still trying to exhaust every avenue in their investigation, and the car was a major piece of evidence.

He expected to know within "a few days", what the scientists could reveal.

 

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter